Sunday, October 10, 2010

The Albums I Couldn't Live Without

So today on Autostraddle I stumbled upon this oldish entry by Emily where the girls were discussing their favorite albums.
It got me thinking about which CD's changed my life.

Funeral For A Friend - Hours
It was one of those albums I heard and simply fell in love with, it completely swept me off my feet.
I was going through some rough times back when I first listened to it, the girl I was dating back then, whom the album belonged to (I later got my own copy), wasn't good for me, in the least. I wasn't well. Mentaly, I was way past the healthy line. But then I would listen to this and feel alive again. I have no idea what drew me in, but my love for this record hasn't changed, not once.

"So pull this switch and see my body twitch
As we dance on this memory
Despair has devoured me whole
A seed won't grow from this soul
This pill won't cure my disease
Can't you kill this beating heart"

- from Hospitality


Tegan And Sara - The Con
Does this even need explaining? It's Tegan and Sara, there's not a word we can't relate to.
This album sends me through such a roller coaster of emotions, these girls can describe my feelings so dead on it sometimes hurts. Pure, raw, they are genious.
From Back In Your Head to Call It Off, Floorplan, Like O Like H, Nineteen... it gives me the chills.
Pure perfection.

Tegan And Sara - So Jealous
So Jealous was the first song I ever heard by them, many years before I fell in love with them. It's crazy how amazing things can pass by us like nothing. Luckily I made up for my mistake. It's hard for me to so much as give my opinion in any of their albums because I truthfully love everything they ever came up with.
I mean, hello? Downtown, I Can't Take It, Walking With A Ghost, I Bet It Stung, I Know I Know I Know, So Jealous, and I better stop before I list all the songs. How much better could it possibly get?
It couldn't. It's Tegan And Sara and that's enough explanation.
Suming it up, if I had to pick only one artist to listen to for the rest of my life, it would be them.


Papa Roach - Getting Away With Murder
Back to the girl I used to date subject. I was angry, I was depressed, I didn't know what to do with my life, I was far too caught up in my own mistakes. This album made me wanna scream, it made me wanna kick, it made me wanna cry. It was filled with angst, despair, rage, but at the same time it helped me see that I knew how to sort my life and gave me hope that one day I would have the courage to do so. And i did.

"I'm drunk and I'm feeling down
And I just wanna be alone
I'm pissed 'cause you came around
Why don't you just go home?
'Cause you channel all your pain
And I can't help you fix yourself
You're driving me insane"
- from Scars

Blink 182 - Blink 182
Well, what can I say...I was a kid. I must of had been around 12 maybe when they first peeked my interest, and oh did they peek it. I soon had three of their albums: Blink 182, Take Off Your Pants and Jacket and Enema Of The State. I still remember how embarassed I was of Enema's cover as I stood in line to purchase it. I was such a prude and shy kid.
They were the first band I became a fan of, I loved them. I listened to them constantly wether it was in my room, in the car, at family parties, you name it. For many years they were the CD in my walkman during car trips with my parents in the summer. I still do the same sometimes, when I feel like it, search for them in my MP4 and give in to the old days melancholy.
I still love them, specially this album and each and every song in it.

"I'll leave my room open 'til sunrise for you
I'll keep my eyes constantly focused on you
Where are you now, I can hear footsteps, I'm dreaming
And if you will, keep me from waking to believe this"
- from I'm Lost Without You


UnderOath - They're Only chasing Safety
These guys are one of those bands that I would love to spend an afternoon goofing around with. I love all they stand for (minus their big religious beliefs, I'm not a very big fan of that, but for them I'll close my eyes to that little detail). Their music is powerful, intense, both musicaly and lyricaly. And do I love their lyrics.
Listening to this album makes me feel like going through an empty street at night, at high speed, the darkness and lights rushing past me, giving we this peaceful yet weary feeling.


This is all for now, If I remember anything else meanwhile I'll make sure to post.

No comments:

Post a Comment